Leila says, "I love you Mommy...Daddy." Then Iyla says, "Well, that is rude Leila. What about your sisters? You better love us right NOW!"
Me: "Hey Iyla, come and cuddle with me in my bed!"
Iyla: "No, I can't because the air in your bed is too hot for me."
No idea what that means being as my room is usually the coldest in the entire house...artic!
Iyla: "MMMMOOOOOMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!!!"
Me: "What Iyla?"
Iyla: "Chance said he is not my brother...he said he is just a chocolate LAD."
Me: "How did he tell you that?"
Iyla: "With his licking tongue."
I read an article that said as your child gets older (7-8) you have to adjust your type of praise for them. For example, I should not say, "You did a great job on your test"...Instead I should say, "I am really impressed that you learned all those spelling words so quickly." They say, as kids get older they can see through the "fake ness" of the generic praise statements like "your are so smart" or "I am so proud of you" or "this is really good". You need to be way more specific.
So, even though this seemed like a daunting task, I decided to try it with Nya last week. As I unloaded her backpack and saw her work I would say things like..."Wow, you must have been working really hard on learning all these math facts" or "I am pretty impressed that you cut this out so perfectly neat". And also with stuff she does at home like, "that was pretty awesome they way you went and got Leila her paci and blankie when she was crying. You always know just what to do to help her feel better."
Well, after about a week of this "new praise" my perceptive little 7 year old says to me..."Mommy, why have you been talking like teacher to me all week...IT IS WEIRD!" I guess her teacher read the same article as me...thank you Yahoo news!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment